MSC Poesia World Cruise 2024: Mindelo, Cape Verde 16 Jan, 2024


I took another excursion booked by a passenger with Dilson tours again. One of the first groups off the ship, eight of us got in the back of a Nissan pickup truck with two benches. 

First, we drove up  a road past the airport to a deserted beach with aquaculture of sushi grade albacore tuna. 


Back up the road and then off to another beach with boats. Eight of us piled in a boat which was pushed by locals into an incoming wave. Just offshore, we hopped in to swim with turtles which came very close to us as the guide through fish guts in the water. I tried to film them on a go pro but the camera kept turning off. The turtles were not stressed or afraid at all! We swam for at least a half hour or so.



When it was time to go back, the boat owner drove us straight into the beach and locals pulled us up onto the beach.

A quick towel off (no place to change) and we drove up into the mountains for a short scenic photo before we drove to a caldera for a hike. 





Finally, we drove to Restaurante Hamburg for lunch at 12:15.

Lunch was chicken, fish, pork; beer or soda, and coffee with a desert of homemade ice cream.

After lunch, we drove to the peak of the highest mountain on the island. 

Dilson explained how they extract water from the wind to irrigate crops using a fabric wall. We headed back to the ship and made it back for 2:30.


I reflected on the day. There were a few seats in the cab in each truck. Only one truck had a canopy and I was glad I was in the first truck (less dust) and out of the direct sun. Dilson, the guide, stopped periodically to tell us what we could see. Other than the pounding we took on the bench seats, it was a fantastic excursion and I would definitely recommend the back of the truck with the canopy.

I showered, took a nap and went down to wait for the shore excursions desk to open.

They told me I can’t book excursions until first thing when they open on Thursday morning. So my plan was to camp out there.

On the way back to my room I saw two obstructed ocean view cabins filled with toilet paper. (Deck 8 with life boat views) They must have been stockpiling supplies for the many days we had ahead of us in ports without easy logistical resupply points. I suspect MSC couldn’t get supplies through the Suez and had shipped them to Cape Verde.

After another quick shower to wash off more remaining sand, I put on long pants and headed to the dining room. A few solos joined me tonight so I didn’t have to dine by myself. Also, the Hungarian couple from the second night joined us later. We all dined together.

Dinner went late and I walked out about 7:50 just as the show was ending. I noticed there was no one waiting at the excursions desk so I popped in and confirmed there were no new excursions I could sign up for.

I went back to my stateroom and discovered that there was another time change tonight and that we would lose an hour of sleep. Exhausted from swimming and hiking, I dropped off to sleep. It was a fantastic day!

Happy Cruising!!

Comments

Popular Posts