MSC Poesia World Cruise 2024: Walvis Bay, Namibia 24 Jan, 2024

After seven sea days in a row (7!!!!) I was ready for a port, any port! In this case, I didn't have high hopes for Walvis Bay. The port is very industrial and only recently has been scaling up with cruise passenger traffic. We were originally scheduled to stop here on the way to South America, but a stop was added on 25 January when we were rerouted around West Africa because of the issues with the Houthis in the Red Sea. This 25 January stop was rescheduled to 24 January via a letter to our stateroom at the same time that Durban was also rescheduled to a day earlier. I am very glad we didn't have eight sea days in a row.

Fortunately, I poked around Getyourguide and Viator enough to locate a well rated Kayak tour of Pelican Bay because the ship announced that the Queen Mary 2 would be in port the same day, and that they would not be offering shore excursions this time because the QM2 had them all booked up! I had already booked all 13 seats for the kayak tour and just had the other 12 passengers pay me before we disembarked.

Unfortunately, this made me the de facto tour operator, and I had to handle the logistics of 12 other passengers. We met after breakfast at 7:45 and nervously awaited customs as they set up at tables on the ship. The kayak operator usually only picks up at 8AM but I explained there was no way we could be there that earlier because that is when we were scheduled to dock.

As we were the first in line, we walked off the ship about 8:05 and arrived at the designated meeting place (Godenfang Restaurant Walvis Bay) at 8:15. I had told them that absolutely best case scenario, we might make 8:30. There were kayaks there and we waited for the guide to arrive. Unfortunately when the guide arrived it was not Kevin or Graham from EcoMarineKayak but he promised to give them a call.


A little background information about Namibia. Neither T-mobile or Google Fi have coverage here so I was without Internet access once we got off the ship. I had emailed Kevin back and forth at breakfast to confirm that everything was a go and I was looking for a blue Truck with Kayaks.

Sure enough, as I tried to calm everyone and explained that he wasn't late, we were just early (especially given what is known as Africa time), he arrived in a blue truck with kayaks. We all piled into the vehicles and set off right on time.


We drove along millionaire's row (fancy houses) and had a quick photo stop to admire two different types of flamingos (white and pink). Then we turned into pink salt flats where they process salt for export which soon turned into a bit of off road adventure in sandy beach area. We drove across old railroad tracks and past an old black and white striped lighthouse before stopping in the middle of a long beach filled with thousands of seals. He had pointed out jackal tracks and explained that they are solitary animals and we would probably not see them. Soon enough, we did see one and it was eating a dead baby seal that it had managed to drag up away from the others.


We unloaded the kayaks and set up a real "out" house to pee. We put on kayak gear consisting of water pants, a jacket, and a life jacket. The water is very cold. Their kayaks are very stable and even though we had some beginners, only a brief kayak lesson was needed for everyone to have a great time.


We paddled into the ocean and along the beach getting a look at baby seals at various stages of development. They form little nursery schools where other moms babysit while others go to rest or sleep. It was absolute mahem. Sometimes males would fight in the middle and all the babies and mamas would quickly clear out a space for them.

We were only out there for probably 90 minutes, but it seemed like hours. We did paddle out a ways to look for dolphins but we had arrived a bit late after the tour boats from the QM2 were there and the dolphins were long gone. We spent a bit more time close to another group of seals before returning to the vehicles for tea/coffee and sandwiches. The sandwiches were simple, included vegan options, and couldn't have tasted any better after our adventure.


As they were packing up the kayaks, we noticed another jackal and we were all distracted again. The tide was coming in and we needed to as the trailer was in the water before we pulled away. We had been able to so close as to be splashed from time to time as a seal surfaced next to us. I think we all had a permagrin for a few days when we returned to the ship to regale the other passengers with tales of our adventure.


On the way back to the ship we stopped to stand on the salt flats. It looked and felt like ice and could have been a frozen lake except for the bright pink color. It was beautiful!

We arrived back at the restaurant right at the scheduled 1:30PM return time. I have probably taken a hundred shore excursions and this one had to be top 10!! I can't recommend Eco Marine Kayak Tours enough. Kevin and Graham are the owners and you can also book them on Viator if you prefer.

There was an option to go into the town shopping but I decided to get back on the ship and take a shot at lunch in the dining room as I was famished again... seriously I eat so much and yet I'm always hungry. I had fish and chips and a sundae! It tasted amazing!


Before I could get in a nap, I went up to a cultural music show put on by Namibian singers and dancers. It was great but my arms were shaking from actual exercise. I am really missing my tripod that I forgot to pack.

After the show, I literally passed out for a couple hours and was thirty minutes late to dinner. Fortunately, my server is flexible and bends the rules a bit when I am late.

I had some meetings for work that I needed to attend to, so I needed the express dinner and I took my desert to go and headed to my stateroom. 

I caught the end of the show: One Night Only and then went to see my friends recital for Mergengue. This was the grand finale after 6 or 7 dance lessons. I thought he did great!

Off to bed for me after the days activities and I slept great!

Happy Cruising!!!



Comments

Popular Posts