Diamond Princess Day 19: 3 Mar 2023 Guam

 



When I woke up and opened the curtains, we were already in port today. It is always a nice surprise but always a bit disappointing when that happens. I like to watch us pull into the harbor and it makes me feel an urgency to go ashore to explore the new port.




After coffee from deck 6 and a quick breakfast from the buffet on deck 14, I went down to meet some friends in the coffee bar. We agreed to split the taxi fare and go exploring around a bit. We had agreed to meet at 8:30 but they were ready early. I was also ready earlier, but I didn't realize they were already there. Life gets more complicated the more people are involved.

There were shuttle busses waiting to take us to the mall in Guam. Just as we were getting close to the bus, the rain started to fall and there was a surge of people out of line trying to get to the bus. Fortunately, we were so close as to just hop on the bus at that point.


Once we were at the mall, I went to the ATM machine and grabbed some cash in US Dollars. There was an ATM machine on the ship which charged around $7 and I took money out for about $4. Not really a big deal but it was there in front of me, so why not. Besides, I would need cash for the taxi. The mall had big welcome signs up for the ship and lots of taxi signs with posted fares. I shared a $17 to gun beach from the mall.

One of the benefits of hitting the road early was that Gun beach was deserted when we arrived. 


I got out my gopro and went around the point to find an even better beach. The beach was amazing and there were lots of crabs and fish to see.  I spent a couple hours at the beach and then began to explore. I was trying to find a place to rent kayaks. 

Ultimately, I walked back up the entrance road to the Marriott resort. I walked in to the starbuck and then down the stairs to a beautiful beach. The sand was fine white powder. I relaxed for a while on the beach but left when I saw a sign that said for patrons of the hotel only. Oops! They did rent hotels though.
The hotel back to the mall was only $11.
I went to the Pay Less grocery store to browse prices for food and then got in the long line to get back to the ship. I was back to the ship by 2PM and hit the buffet for a light lunch. I took an easy day because I want to be rested for a full day excursion to Saipan tomorrow. I would definitely go an explore Guam again.


After a nap, it was once again time for dinner. I had Sesame Chicken Bites and banana rhum soup for the appetizer.
Prime Rib was my dinner selection.
While eating dinner, the captain told us to look out the window where we could see a US nuclear submarine which is not something you would see everyday. 
For dessert, I had the Banana, Chocolate and Dark Rum Mousse Tart. I have a habit of always getting decaf coffee these days with dessert. I am very spoiled.
On the way out of the harbor, many of the passengers watched the show on deck as we passed beside an aircraft carrier.
I watched the sun set and headed back to the stateroom for a zoom meeting. I am very lucky to be able to work remotely.
It is a big day tomorrow and I made sure to go straight to bed after my meeting.
Happy Cruising!







Comments

Popular Posts